Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Creative process 4

Creative Process 4

The Spirits sculpture was photographed from different angles and at different stages of assembly.
However one idea stuck in my mind.  In my  initial daydream/fantasy that I had about the spirits floating around,  the spirits were hiding in the woods. It occurred to me that I could use a photograph of trees or countryside where I could superimpose the pictures of the Spirits sculptures and create a series of photographs depicting landscapes with the uncanny element of a floating sculpture around it.
Here is the first photograph. I titled it The Spirits's visit.



                                                The Spirits'svisit       Photo  assemblage

These fabric sculptures, that I called spirits, are meant as transitional objects. They represent important objects, people no longer present in someone's life. They would be the equivalent of the security blanket for a toddler , usually a piece of fabric or material made to substitute for the child's parents and be soothing when they are away. Similarly the idea of spirits implies a partial presence of a meaningful
person. I like the fact that they are made of fabric. Ghosts are also covered by fabric when they are represented in drawings or paintings. Fabric gives the sculptures a soft, floating appearance that can be moved and change with simple touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment