Thursday, March 5, 2015

The creative process III



The creative process III
The fabric sculpture has been described as a cluster of clouds by some viewers.
 But the sculpture reminded me of a poem I wrote a few years ago about souls or spirits floating around. The poem was based on a smell of apples that came up on a walk on the woods, where little apple trees lined a trail in Ontario, Canada. At that time, the smell of apples brought to me a memory of a similar smell that took place when my mother and I were visiting an apple orchard in my country, Argentina. Even though my mother died a long time ago, the apple smell in Canada reminded me of her and brought a great deal of nostalgia for her. At that moment, during the walk, I wished my mother's soul or spirit would be floating around behind the evergreen canadian spruces. In my daydream I thought that it would be wonderful to listen to some signal through the wind or the leaves moving around that would confirm her spirit was there.
So  based on this poem and its connection to the sculpture I decided to put several fabric sculptures together and project the images of trees behind them.
Although the projection of trees is perfectly possible, in the meantime, here is a picture of the sculpture that has been temporarily named Cluster of spirits searching for signals.


     The piece is approximately 10 feet long and will be suspended from a high ceiling for display. One important point about it is that the work is very versatile and can be easily converted into three smaller pieces: two verticals and one horizontal at the top.

The color will remain off white.



www.mariaboulan.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment