Friday, February 20, 2015

The Creative Process II

The Creative Process II

Even though I was painting circular shapes in abstract paintings and I consciously chose them for the sculpture piece, I did not expect that when I assembled them together they would look like flowers and eventually like a plant or vine. This was a surprise that brought me back to an object: flower, that was very present in many of the choices I made in life. So the shapes that we create in art are multi determined like the visual images in dreams. They originate in our unconscious and make it into  consciousness for special reasons and connections.
When I decided to replace the metallic mesh for fabric as a building material for the next sculpture, after a few trial and errors, I realized that sewing each piece like a stocking and placing armature wire inside it was the way to do the work. After a few moments, sitting at a sewing machine in the studio, it was amazing to be flooded by memories from my childhood when I enjoyed looking at my mother sewing and wished I could do it myself. So my new piece has fabric and sewing, two things that connect me closely to my mother. At no point did I think that I would work at a piece in this way. It was a process of discovery that once again brought me to my childhood and pleasant scenes in it. Playing with fabrics, sewing with thread and needle, were childhood activities free of conflict. Art work is more productive when is autonomous from psychic conflict.
Here is how the fabric sculpture looks  at this point.

Fabric Sculpture

No comments:

Post a Comment